The Baltimore Orioles and Maryland Governor Wes Moore announced a joint commitment in what they called a “decades-long public-private partnership” to revitalize the Camden Yards sports complex.
The statement from the team and the new state governor came Wednesday, the deadline for the Orioles to exercise a one-time, five-year extension to their lease at Camden Yards. The team did not plan to exercise the option, according to multiple reports. The Orioles’ rental decision was first reported by The Baltimore Sun.
Without an extension, the lease is due to expire at the end of this year, but the team and the Maryland Stadium Authority can continue to negotiate. Wednesday’s joint post appeared to be an attempt to calm nerves in Baltimore about the team’s future.
“I look forward to continuing to work with Governor Moore, his administration, and the Maryland Stadium Authority to bring Baltimore the modern, sustainable, and electrifying sports and entertainment destination that the state of Maryland deserves,” the CEO said. of Orioles, John Angelos. .
“We greatly appreciate Governor Moore’s vision and commitment as we seize the incredible opportunity to redefine the paradigm of what a Major League Baseball venue is and thereby revitalize downtown Baltimore. I hope and hope that together with Governor Moore and the new members and new Chairman of the MSA Board of Directors, we can once again realize the full potential of Camden Yards to serve as a catalyst for Baltimore’s second renaissance. .”
Republican Larry Hogan, a former state governor, last year signed a bill increasing bond clearance for M&T Bank Stadium, home of the Baltimore Ravens, and Camden Yards. The measure allowed up to $600 million to be borrowed for each stadium.
“When Camden Yards opened 30 years ago, the Baltimore Orioles revolutionized baseball and set the bar for the fan experience,” Moore, a Democrat, said Wednesday. “We share the Orioles organization’s commitment to ensuring the team plays at a world-class facility at Camden Yards for decades to come and we are excited to advance our public-private partnership.”
Angelos recently reaffirmed that the Orioles would stay in Baltimore, though he did fill in on a reporter who asked for more clarity on the future of the team’s ownership situation. Angelos was sued last year by his brother Lou, who claimed John Angelos took control of the Orioles at his expense.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.